Carthage City Services

Building Permit Application Information

Permits are required when building, remodeling, increasing or decreasing the size of a building. Permits are also required for other improvements to your property. Projects that are cosmetic, such as painting, wallpapering, carpeting, cabinets and trim work, etc., do not require permits. Additionally, permits are not required when replacing fixtures on existing wiring or plumbing.

The following is a list of some projects for which a permit is required:

  • Construction of a building. Main building, accessory building (including storage buildings, gazebos, carports, patio covers)

  • Increasing or decreasing square foot of a building

  • Remodeling of a building requiring the addition or removal of a wall, window or door

  • Electrical work (Repair work such as replacing switches, plugs and ballasts is exempt.)

  • Plumbing Work

  • Water Heaters

  • Water Softeners

  • Replacing water and/or sewer lines (Repair work such as exchange of washers & faucets is exempt.)

  • Irrigation systems (Lawn sprinklers)

  • Installing or replacing furnace

  • Installing or replacing an air conditioning system and/or duct work

  • Building or replacing a fence over six (6) feet in height

  • Installing or replacing a driveway approach (portion of the drive connecting to the street)

  • Building a swimming pool

  • Building a spa (self contained portable plug-in type spas are exempt)

This is not an all-inclusive list. Questions concerning your specific project should be forwarded to the Building Inspection Department.

Direct telephone numbers for inspectors:
    Electrical & Plumbing Inspector - John Ramsey   (903) 692-2095.
Application for Permit: To obtain a permit, the applicant shall first file an application therefore in writing on a form furnished by the department of building safety for that purpose. Such application shall:

1. Identify and describe the work to be covered by the permit for which application is made.
2. Describe the land on which the purpose work is to be done by legal description, street address or similar description that will readily identify and definitely locate the proposed building or work. (See zoning and 911 personnel at City Hall).
3. Indicate the use and occupancy for which the proposed work is intended.
4. Be accompanied by construction documents and other information as required.
5. State the valuation of the proposed work.
6. Be signed by the applicant, or the applicant's authorized agent.
7. Give such other data and information as required by the building official.
(See Residential Building Permit Procedures.)

Work exempt from permit: Exemptions from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction. Permits shall not be required for the following:

1. One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet and no plumbing and/or electrical to be used.
2. Fences not over 6 feet high.
3. Retaining walls which are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall.
4. Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
5. Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches above grade and not over any basement or story below and which are not part of an accessible route.
6. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar work.
7. Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery.
8. Prefabricated swimming pools which are less than 24 inches deep.
9. Above-ground or on-ground pools do not need a permit but are required to have a barrier for protection. Pool wall can be the barrier if pool has a removable ladder and that ladder is removed when pool is not in use.
10. Swings and other playground equipment accessory to one and two-family dwellings.
11. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.

1. Minor repair work, including the replacement of lamps to the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.
2. Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe.

1. Portable heating, cooking or clothes drying appliances.
2. Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe.
3. Portable fuel cell appliances that are not connected to a fixed piping system and are not interconnected to a power grid.

1. Portable heating appliances
2. Portable ventilation appliances.
3. Portable cooling unit.
4. Steam, hot or chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment regulated by this code.
5. Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe.
6. Portable evaporator cooler.
7. Self-contained refrigeration systems containing 10 pounds or less of refrigerant or that are actuated by motors of 1 horsepower or less.
8. Portable fuel cell appliances that are not connected to a fixed piping system and are not interconnected to a power grid.

The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipe: provided, however, that if any concealed trap, drainpipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, such work shall be considered as new and a permit shall be obtained and inspection made as provided in this code.

The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves or fixtures, and the removal and reinstallation of water closets, provided such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes or fixtures.

 **Permits must be obtained for Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing by licensed contractors unless you qualify for a homeowner permit.
(DEFINITION OF HOMEOWNER: Premises the person owns and actually occupies as a residence and/or will occupy as a residence upon completion of construction.)

Emergency Repairs - Where equipment replacement and repairs must be performed in an emergency situation, the permit application shall be submitted within the next working business day to the building official.