The provision stated in this document serves as an Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) which governs the use of computers in the Sammy Brown Library. Please note that the use of computer systems in the Library is a PRIVILEGE, not a right. It is the objective of the Sammy Brown Library to maintain an atmosphere of constructive learning, academic freedom and proper asset management and control. In order to meet this objective, each user must act in an ethical, and lawful manner.
User Eligibility / Registration Form
· The library computers are open-access and available on a first-come, first-serve basis. There is a one hour reservation limit on the computers per day, for which you need to sign at the desk. After the hour is up and if no one is on reserve for the next hour, you may sign up again. Users must sign the Registration and User agreement and abide by the policies and guidelines established in the AUP document. These agreements will be kept on file at the circulation desk.
· All users must have a valid Sammy Brown Library card, no fines or overdues, and a signed Internet Registration Form and User Agreement on file.
· All Internet users under the age of 18 must be accompanied at the computer site by their parent/guardian.
· If the patron is 14 years of age and the parent or guardian gives written consent by signing an Internet Access Consent Form the minor will be allowed on the computer without a parent being present.
· All Internet users must sign the Internet Registration Form and User Agreement.
· Your library card will be attached to the computer card you were assigned. Your card will be returned to you when you have signed off the computer.
· Staff provides limited assistance for basic start up procedures. If patrons have never used computers or have specific questions about the Internet, circulating books and reference books are available.
Printing and Downloading
· Printers are available for patron use for 15 cents per page.
· Patrons may purchase floppy disks from the library for 50 cents each
· Patrons may download to pre-formatted disks.
· The Library is not responsible for any loss or damage to the disk when downloading.
· The Library does not offer electronic email accounts.
· Patrons may NOT use personal software or alter or attach equipment to the library's hardware.
Rights and Responsibilities
· Each user must acknowledge that his/her freedom to access and display information is constrained by the rights of others. No person may use Library computer resources for any illegal or unauthorized act. In particular, individuals may not use computing resources to violate any state or federal laws or any regulation of the Sammy Brown Library including, but not limited to, ANY LAWS OR REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE CREATION, DISSEMINATION OR POSSESSION OF PORNOGRAPHY OR OTHER ILLEGAL DOCUMENTS OR IMAGES; the possession or use of programs, files, or instructions for violating system security, and the violation of copyright law.
· Each user must also acknowledge that any information obtained by the Internet may or may not be authentic. Example: using medical sites, because some medical sites may be outdated or misleading. The Sammy Brown Library is not responsible for any information obtained from the Internet.
· Library computer resources cannot be used to intimidate or create an atmosphere of harassment based upon gender, race, religion, ethnic origin, creed or sexual orientation. Fraudulent, threatening or obscene email, graphics, or other electronic communications are prohibited. Chain letters, mass mailings and repeated sending of email after being requested to stop are examples of inappropriate uses of library electronic resources.
· Users should not use the computer network for commercial activities, product advertisement, or political lobbying.
Note: Patrons may sign the Internet Registration From and User Agreement Form at the Front Desk.