Frequently Asked Questions

What is the City's mailing address?

P.O. Box 400
Carthage, TX 75633

What is the procedure for having extra bags of trash picked up?

No more than 12 total bags or bundles will be collected, unless a bulky pickup has been scheduled in advance. They can be picked up with the garbage truck as well as City pick up.

What is the procedure for limbs to be picked up or chipped by the City?

Limbs that are picked up by the City of Carthage must not exceed 10 inches in diameter, must be placed at the curb and cannot be the result of a commercial contractor.  If you pay someone to clean your property, you must also ask him or her to dispose of the limbs.  We offer this service to help our residents when doing yard work or clean-up after a storm.  The City has a chipper route, which is run weekly.  On occasion this schedule must be altered in order to trim trees that interfere with school busses or large vehicles.  We also schedule regular maintenance of the equipment.  We will not schedule this on the same day of the week twice in a row in order not to affect the same areas of town.  If you do not know when your area of town is to be picked up, please call Brenda Nix at ext. 10, or anyone at City Hall will be able to assist you.

How does one report potholes or street signs in need of repair?

Fill out the "Report a Problem" form located on the city website. (link at top of home page)

What are the Transfer Station hours?

The Transfer Station is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday - 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM
-Wednesday - 7:30 - 12:00 Noon

The transfer will accept anything except tires and batteries.  If you bring an appliance which contains freon it must be removed and tagged.  There is no phone at the transfer station.  It is located on the loop between the incinerator and Tyson Foods.

Who do I call to reach the Animal Control Officer, and is there a leash law?

Call the Carthage Police Department.  They have radio dispatch with the Animal Control Officer. You can reach them at 903-693-3866.  Yes, there is a leash law and your pet must remain in your control at all times when it is not on your premises.  The animal control officer does not work after office hours except in an emergency situation.

Who do I call for a complaint concerning weeds, overgrown lots, etc.?

Report such concerns to the Building Inspector at 903-693-8544.  He will then look at the situation and determine if a letter to the property owner or if the problem needs to be referred to someone else for action.  A weed letter sent for the first time allows the property owner 10 days in which to comply with ordinances.  If they have made an attempt and need additional time, it may be granted.  If nothing is done the matter will be turned over the City Attorney.

Where do I get a building permit?

You will find a form to download from this website (under the Services tab) that you can print, fill out, and bring it to City Hall. Or you can pick one up at 812 W. Panola (City Hall). There are necessary fees to be paid when the permit is brought to City Hall. You can also find a list of fees under the same Services tab of this website.

Who do I contact about other permits and regulations concerning building, remodeling, demolition, etc.?

You would need to contact the Building Inspector's Office at 903-693-8544, or you can contact City Hall at 903-693-3868, ext. 13 or 14.  They will make sure the inspector gets the message in a timely manner.

Who do I call for questions concerning the Carthage Municipal Park Complex?

Please call 903-693-3868, ext. 21, and ask for Dana Clark.  She will be able to help you with your concerns or direct you to the proper person.

Does the City issue birth and death certificates?

The City of Carthage does have access to birth certificates if the person was born in Texas via online access to the State's computer.  Death must have occurred in the city limits of Carthage for us to be able to issue a death certificate.  Deaths which occurred outside the Carthage city limits must be issued through the Panola County Clerk's Office.  The cost for a birth certificate is $23.00.   A death certificate costs $21.00 for the first one and $4.00 for each additional copy.  In order to obtain a death or birth certificate, it must be for yourself or an immediate family member (parent, sibling, spouse, grandparent, child)  You would need to contact Dana Clark for these services at 903/693-3868, ext. 21. Print an application

Who do I contact if my organization wants the Mayor to sign a proclamation?

You will need to contact City Hall at 903-693-3868, ext. 10.  Arrangements will be made with the Mayor and a date will be set. Contact with the news media will also be made for your group after it has been confirmed.

What is the rental rate for Davis Park Community House?

All information pertaining to the Community House is located under the "Facilities" link on this website.  Call 903-693-3868, ext. 10, for additional information. 

Who do I call to rent the Civic Center or the Texas Country Music Hall of Fame?

Call Carthage City Hall at 903-693-3868, ext. 10.  The fee for buildings is located on this website under the "Facilities" tab. Also, all forms for rental are available under this link.

How do I access water utilities? change of address? final bills?

You will need to contact the Water Department at 903-693-3868, ext. 13 or 14.  Water deposit is $50.00 for a residence and $75.00 for a business.  The deposit will be refunded to you after 12 consecutive months on your bill without a penalty.   If you are moving out of town, your final bill will be taken from your deposit. A forwarding address will be obtained.  If you get utilities at a new residence in Carthage, it could be six weeks before you receive your first bill due because our billing cycle is behind 15 days.

How do I receive a 911 address?

You will need to contact Debbie Pierce at 903-693-3868, ext. 19, or Dana Clark at ext. 21. A 911 address must be obtained before a building permit can be finalized.

If I have a zoning problem, how do I find out the correct procedure and correct zoning for my purpose?

 You will need to contact Dana Clark, Zoning Administrator, at 903-693-3868, ext. 21.

What forms of payment does the City accept?

Cash, money order, or check. No credit cards, debit cards at this time.

If the 10th or 20th falls on a weekend or holiday, how can a water bill be paid if City Hall is closed?

Two options are available:

1. Use the "Pay Your Water Bill" link at the top of the City of Carthage website.
2. There is a night drop under the drive-up canopy. Please place the small stub from your water bill along with the payment in an envelope in the night drawer slot.

In the event the bill is not paid on or before the 10th day of the month after the billing date, then a late fee of 10% of the total outstanding balance shall be added to the account and the total shall then immediately be due payable.

In the event a delinquent water or sewer bill and late fee is not paid on or before the 20th of the month in which it is due, then the account shall be added to the cutoff list and incur an additional $25 cutoff list fee at the close of business on the 20th for administrative expense.

In the event that water is discontinued for nonpayment of a bill, late fee (10%), or cutoff list fee ($25), shall be charged for reconnection to the water system after office hours and on weekends.

Is burning allowed within the City Limite?

At no time is any type of outdoor burning allowed within the City Limits.

**If a burn ban has been lifted, that only pertains to areas outside the City Limits.